Date:      Tue, 07 Sep 2010 20:26:06 +0200
From:      Torbjorn Granlund <tg@gmplib.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need supported SAS controller

Is the any PCIe SAS controller that is supported by FreeBSD 8.1 that I
can purchase today?  The controller should preferably be low-profile.
RAID is not needed since I have just one disk, but if only RAID
controllers are available, I can live with that.

FreeBSD supports several controllers, but most of them seems old and
impossible to purchase today.

I have tried a new Adaptec 2405 but I have serious issues with data inte-
grity (the beginning of the virtualised disk does not read back the same
data as just written).  It is unknown if this is a problem with the cont-
roller or with the FreeBSD drivers.  Due to technical and administrative
experiences with Adaptec during this process, no other Adaptec controller
will be considered, see <http://gmplib.org/~tege/adaptec.html>.

The Supermicro controllers listed by FreeBSD as supported seem to be
rebranded Adaptec controllers, and they are therefore also disqualified.

The LSI controllers FreeBSD list as supported at
<http://www.freebsd.org/releases/8.1R/hardware.html>; (with the mpt driver)
are no longer in production, as far as I can tell.  My hope is that some
currently produced LSI controllers actually work with FreeBSD 8.1.

Please help if you know something about that.

--=20
Torbj=F6rn