Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 06:44:17 +0900
From:      "Akinori MUSHA" <knu@iDaemons.org>
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>, sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Qt2X business (KDE2, GL support and XFree86 4.0.2_2+ & xthreads)

At Sun, 18 Mar 2001 16:54:26 -0500,
Will Andrews wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 06:42:15AM +0900, Akinori MUSHA wrote:
> > It's fine with me.  QGL support is no more important than shipping the
> > 4.3-RELEASE with KDE2 packages included.
>
> OK, but that doesn't tell me if you have problems using libqt2-mt with
> your qtgl apps (I believe your ruby-qt mod or similar uses it).  I.e:
> please test with substituting -lqt2 for -lqt2-mt and try out
> functionality to ensure that it still works.  Probably going to need to
> link your ruby-qt et al with -pthread etc.  But I wouldn't know.  This
> is better tested by you (you can use either qt22 or qt23 port -- I
> believe they both have -thread and no -no-opengl).

Yes, I'm working on it.  I just meant "You don't have to wait for me
to fix ruby-qt2* stuff at all, just go ahead".  I will mark them
broken if I find that I can't get them fixed. (I hope not though)
Still, I'd like you to put KDE2 packages in the 4.3-RELEASE. ;)

The problem in 4.x or prior versions that libc and libc_r cannot be
happily linked together is so annoying that we can't compile a decent
binary if it needs to be linked with both a non-threaded shared
library and a threaded shared library.  And ruby-qt2 is the very case,
which means, I can never make it really happy on the stock 4.x anyway.
The combination of libc and libc_r might cause unexpected problems on
a random occasion.

Therefore, I really wish we could MFC the changes against libc_r on
CURRENT in the near future even if it required libc's major to be
bumped..

> This whole thing needs a bsd.port.mk key-into to keep things from
> becoming insane.  I'll probably have to write a bsd.qtkde.mk while
> fixing this, and hopefully Satoshi can put Maxim's PTHREAD_CFLAGS &
> PTHREAD_LIBS suggestion in bsd.port.mk.  *sigh*

That should be adopted real soon.

> I've heard way too many conflicting stories about KDE2 working here and
> not there, and seeing mostly the latter myself (I'm now at the stage of
> banging my head against the wall and asking myself out loud how the hell
> it worked in the first place...).

I can just imagine..  We should finally realize that the K of KDE
stands for "kinky". ;)

--
                     /
                    /__  __            Akinori.org / MUSHA.org

"We're only at home when we're on the run, on the wing, on the fly"