Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 2004 02:08:36 +0300
From:      Zajcev Evgeny <zevlg@yandex.ru>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.3 release snd_ich strange behaviour

I've installed 5.3-RELEASE recently and pretty happy with it.  But
i've noticed some strange behaviour.

I've added

   snd_ich_load="YES"

to my /boot/loader.conf to enable sound in boot time.  Reboot machine
and everything was working ok.  But then i noticed that cooler on my
notebook starts more often then without snd_ich.  Running top shows
that machine is about 15-20% in interrupts.  Unloading snd_ich makes
top showing interrups about 0-1%.  Then i loaded snd_ich by hand
(kldload snd_ich) and the problem dissapeared, top shows 0-1% and
cooler starts as without snd_ich.  I commented this string in
/boot/loader.conf and rebooted the machine.  Then load snd_ich by
hand.  Everything is ok!  I assumed that it was some strange thing and
uncommented string in loader.conf and rebooted.  The situation with
15-20% inturrupts repeeted!  However kldunload & kldload resolves it.

So the only suitable solution for me was to load snd_ich using rc.d

Thanks!

PS: I have iRU intro 1214 notebook with acpi enabled.

--
lg