Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 2014 10:59:42 +0200
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To:        "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@juniper.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Arch <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Retiring WITH_INSTALL_AS_USER

"Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@juniper.net> writes:
> Hmm I have it permanently set in a projects/bmake tree that builds
> buildworld etc fine (while producing meta files) - though its been a
> month or two since last sync.

WITH_INSTALL_AS_USER does not modify buildworld, so that's moot.  It
modifies installworld, and it does not work:

% make installworld WITH_INSTALL_AS_USER=3DYES DESTDIR=3D/tmp/wiau
[...]
=3D=3D=3D> lib/libc (install)
install -C -o des -g des -m 444   libc.a /tmp/wiau/usr/lib
install  -o des -g des -m 444   -fschg -S  libc.so.7 /tmp/wiau/lib
install: /tmp/wiau/lib/libc.so.7: chflags: Operation not permitted
*** Error code 71

All it does is set the default *BIN / *GRP to the user name and primary
group name of the current user.  It does not prevent Makefiles from
overriding them (or from setting chflags like libc does).

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no