Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 14:40:30 +0900
From:      "Akinori -Aki- MUSHA" <knu@idaemons.org>
To:        ache@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, jseger@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/16836: graphics/ImageMagick: configures with LZW enabled

At Sun, 20 Feb 2000 12:20:02 -0800 (PST),
Andrey A. Chernov <ache@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
>  On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 03:53:10AM +0900, Akinori -Aki- MUSHA wrote:
>  >   As the graphics/ImageMagick port configures itself with LZW enabled
>  > by default, it builds/installs binaries which are capable of producing
>  > LZW compressed images that has something to do with the damned patent
>  > issue.
>  >
>  > >How-To-Repeat:
>  >
>  > >Fix:
>  >
>  >   Removing --enable-lzw from CONFIGURE_ARGS may help.  Also, consider
>  > upgrading the port to the latest version 5.1.1.  See ports/16378.
>
>  Total removing is not good. There must be env. variable dependent Makefile
>  option which let users who sign LZW license to build unrestricted version.

That's right.  This kind of ports must refer to something like
WITH_LZW (or HAVE_LZW_LICENSE) variable to decide whether LZW
compression feature is to be built-in.

  But the days before the freeze are numbered.  If no time to
implement this, we'll have to simply disable it, so far.

--
                           /
                          /__  __

"If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice."