Date:      26 Sep 1998 14:20:00 -0400
From:      Kevin Street <street@iname.com>
To:        Dave Ason <dgason@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Kevin Street <street@iname.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDE media player / sound not working?

Dave Ason <dgason@mindspring.com> writes:

> Kevin Street wrote:
> > Dave Ason <dgason@mindspring.com> writes:
> > >     However, when I try to use either the KDE CD player or the Media
> > > player, a window briefly pops up then goes away. I can't configure
> > > system sounds to work with the desktop either. I suspect that these
> > > problems are related, but I can't find any diagnostic messages to clue
> > > me in on what's going wrong.
> > Are you starting (via startkde or however you start up KDE) both
> > kaudioserver and kwmsound ?  Do you see both of these as well as
> > maudio running if you do a ps -aux ?
> >
> > Do you have `options SYSVSHM' in your kernel?  (if not you might as
> > well add SYSVSEM and SYSVMSG as well, although I don't think KDE
> > uses those).

> $ kaudioserver
> /usr/libexec/ld.so: Undefined symbol "_ftok" called from
> kaudioserver:/usr/local/lib/libmediatool.so.1.0 at 0x8061104
>
> $ kwmsound
> PID could not get read.
> kwmsound: Failed connecting the audio server.

Ok, kwmsound fails because kaudioserver didn't start.  kaudioserver
is failing because it wasn't linked with the library that contains
ftok.  In FreeBSD 2.2.5 systems I think this was in /usr/lib/libcompat.a
but it appears to be in libc in FreeBSD 3.0 (which I'm running).  I'm
just pulling down the kde port distribution files to see how
kaudioserver is being built by the port (I normally build KDE from
their source tree rather than using the port).  I'll see if I can
figure out what's wrong.

Did you build KDE from the port or install it some other way?

--
Kevin Street
street@iName.com