Date:      10 Sep 2001 14:10:42 -0500
From:      Jeremy <thinker5555@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Vim is both installed and uninstalled?

Hi,

I tried to install vim 5.x from the packages directory on the 4.3 FreeBSD cd
(downloaded from ftp.freebsd.org) and when I originally installed it, my
computer thrashed around for a bit, and then it ended with something about
"enable MOTIF="yes" in make.conf" or something similar to that.
(unfortunately I didn't write it down at the time) I've read that some others
on the list had a problem with an error about libX[something] not found when
trying to run vim, so I thought that since I didn't have X installed, I'd
just pkg_delete it.  When I tried to do that, it told me that vim wasn't
installed.  When I tried to re-install it so that I could possibly get that
error message again and try to figure out what was going on, it told me that
vim was already installed!  So, evidentally, I have vim in a state where it's
both installed and not installed.

So my question is this.  How do I uninstall a package that comes up both
installed and not installed?  Is there a certain directory I have to run
pkg_delete from in order for it to remove it?

Thanks for your help,
Jeremy