Date:      11 Feb 1998 14:05:02 -0600
From:      stephen farrell <stephen@farrell.org>
To:        Uncle Flatline <flatline@gri.gallaudet.edu>
Cc:        Vincent Defert <vdefert@trace.fr>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Linux

Uncle Flatline <flatline@gri.gallaudet.edu> writes:

> - Properly connect to a DECserver multiplexor.
> - Boot Windows 95 from my second hard disk. (This appears to vary.  Others
>   do not have this problem, but others don't seem to have my setup.)
> - Proper full VT-terminal emulation outside of X-Windows, while still
>   maintaining the ability to use the syscons graphics.
> - Connect to a Linux server.

Not sure about the 4th, but as a general rule I agree that
linux/windows integration is quite a bit better.  I credit this,
really, to the fact that most freebsd folks are die-hard unix fans and
don't even have win95/nt, and so they don't bother with things like
vfat support. (just a personal theory)

So if these are your needs, then by all means linux is a better option.

> I've fought with these problems for over a week now, and maybe if I fought
> for a month I'd solve them.  But I didn't have to fight to get them working
> right away with Linux.  I did get responses like "Maybe in Windows 98... ummm
> NT 5.0, err... I mean, FreeBSD 3.0," "Change your hardware," and "We don't
> consider that worth doing at this time," which are some of Micro$oft's
> favorite lines.
>
> In my day-to-day usage, I couldn't find anything that FreeBSD did, that Linux
> could not.  (And I saw several people on this mailing list asking about Linux
> emulation.  There appeared to be a lot of interest in programs that only run
> under Linux.  On the Linux lists, I don't see nearly as many requests for
> FreeBSD emulation or programs that only run under FreeBSD.)

linux has a few more innovations, and if you list the features it'll
definitely come out ahead.  But you don't see me running linux.
Bottom line is that freebsd is trouble-free for me.  I love that.  I
can tell you *loads* of stories of problems I've had with linux
w/slackware, redhat, and debian.

But I'll just tell one b/c it was the last straw and why I run fbsd:

Someone wrote a nifty scheduler patch for linux that was based on the
QNX scheduler.  Groovy, I thought, so I snarfed it, recompiled my
kernel, saved my old kernel(*), ran lilo, and rebooted.

So the (*) means that I didn't really save my old kernel.  Debian puts
the kernel images in /kernel/vmlinux-<version> (or whatever).  Then,
IIRC, there is a link in / to the current kernel image.  I
accidentally renamed the *last* kernel I made w/o the version number,
so when I made this new one I thought that the one with the current
version number was the old-old one, and blew it away.  I also blew
away the one without a version number.  My fault--yes, I suppose.  But
w/freebsd I've got kernel.GENERIC in /, as well as my last kernel
(kernel.old) and my most recent kernel.  If my new kernel doesn't
boot, then I can just type at the boot prompt to boot kernel.old.  If
some reason that doesn't work, there's always kernel.GENERIC.  I never
have to think twice before building a new kernel since I know that
I'll have *no trouble* going back to the old one.

Right, so, it wouldn't boot.

Aha--you say, but what about that handy dandy debian boot disk
recovery thing?  Well, I had one, but it was pretty old and wouldn't
let me choose which disk to set as my root (just a bug; it happens).
I didn't keep a newer one b/c we have half a dozen unix boxes here and
I can always go to debian.org and snarf the current boot floppy.  So I
snarfed a new one and GUESS WHAT?  It had a newer kernel and didn't
recognize my ethernet card.  It also didn't recognize the 4 ethernet
cards I ripped out of some of our other computers in frustration.
Here's the crime: the *NEW* bootdisks for the "stable" release of
debian had (1) no new version numbers (2) they did not retain the old
ones on the ftp site.  I was hosed--there was nothing I could do to
preserve linux on my box short of buying a new ethernet card or
ordering the CDROM and building an older kernel or something.

So 30 minutes later I had fbsd installed and haven't regretted it for
one second (about 9 months now; though I'd run freebsd for about 6
months before).  FBSD people call it "PLA" --principle of least
astonishment.  I think they're on the right track.

ymmv.

--

Steve Farrell