Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 2003 21:41:58 -0500
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        "Drew Derbyshire" <avatar@2003-09.plus.kew.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I've had enough.  I'm starting a DNS blackhole list.

--=-=-=

At 2003-09-25T01:17:26Z, "Drew Derbyshire" <avatar@2003-09.plus.kew.com> wr=
ites:

> Seems like a lot of work with way too much room for false positives.

There are no false positives; all addresses listed are machines that have
directly transmitted viral mail onto my network.  No other hosts are listed.

> Why aren't you running a content filter on executable attachments so they
> get bounced and you never see them?

I *am* running Spamassassin with the executable score turned up
sufficiently, but that only goes so far.  I have no desire to scan 40,000
more messages, and a well-seeded blacklist would go quite a way toward
stemming the tide.

After I harvested the first batch of 10,000 or so addresses, I noticed that
some machines had sent me 20, 30, 40 plus emails.  I'm perfectly content to
cut that to 1.

> BTW -- Shouldn't that be hunnypot.net?

Probably.  I'd never thought about it before, and it would've saved a fight
with a porn studio had I seen that it was open back when I registered this
one.
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser

--=-=-=