Date:      08 Mar 2000 18:01:13 -0500
From:      Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   qmail wrecked after system rebuild (with NO_SENDMAIL)

I replaced sendmail for qmail about two months ago. Everything was
working perfectly, unil I had to rebuild the whole system (I set
NO_SENDMAIL=true in /etc/make.conf) [see p.s.].

After I rebuilt I didn't reboot for another couple of days, and
qmail still worked fine. Today in the morning, after a reboot, my mail
system is wrecked.

I use fetchmail to receive mail from my ISP. After a few hours with no
mail at all, I got worried and started poking around. I could not even
send myself a test message on the same machine. It would dissappear...

After some more time I found that my /var/qmail/queue/intd,
/var/qmail/queue/mess, and /var/qmail/queue/todo contain a bunch of
files, which appear to be the undelivered messages. [Sigh of relief --
at least the mail isn't lost!]

What could have gone wrong?
Does qmail keep a log file somewhere? I couldn't locate it.

p.s. A correction: I did "make buildworld" without the NO_SENDMAIL
flag. It was only than that I became aware of this flag, and set it in
make.conf as well as passed it to make (I did "make -DNO_SENDMAIL
installworld").

p.p.s. Don't know if it's relevant, but when I recompiled this time I
changed the name of the kernel config file.

p.p.p.s The system rebuild was from 3.4-R into 3.4-R (no major
changes).

Thank you very much for any input!!!
--
Arcady Genkin                                 http://www.thpoon.com