Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 21:17:48 +1000
From:      mcwong@ascend.com
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Safe upgrade from 2.2.5 --> 3.2 ?

Ben

One more question before I begin. Since 2.2.5 is a.out only system
and 3.2 will be elf by default, now that I have the 3.2. src what target
should I be building first ? I look at the Makefile explanation but am
not able to follow exactly which one I should run. THere are

buildworld - which is something which I will need since I cannot
            afford to overwrite all binaries just yet.
installworld - done after above after certain level of confidence
upgrade - should this be done before or after the above 2 ?

Also, about the mergemaster util. Should this be run before or
after the above build process ? I did try running is *before* the
build (which I am quite reluctant to do for now until I know which
target to build) but got the following error:

.... [snip]
missing: ./tmp (created)
missing: ./tmp/vi.recover (created)
missing: ./yp (created)
if [ -d /var/tmp/temproot/usr/share/locale ] ;   then  cd
/var/tmp/temproot/usr/
share/locale;    for l in da_DK de_AT de_CH de_DE en_AU en_CA en_GB en_US
es_ES
fi_FI  fr_BE fr_CA fr_CH fr_FR is_IS it_CH it_IT nl_BE nl_NL no_NO  pt_PT
sv_SE;
 do  if [ -h $l.ISO_8859-1 ]; then  rm $l.ISO_8859-1;  fi ;  done;  fi
mtree -deU -f /usr/src/etc/mtree/BSD.usr.dist -p /var/tmp/temproot/usr
mtree: line 156: unknown keyword nochange
*** Error code 1

Stop.

  *** FATAL ERROR: Cannot 'cd' to /usr/src/etc and install files to the
      temproot environment

At this  point I stop and decide to ask before proceeding further.

TIA
MCW

Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk> on 08/18/99 11:49:58 PM

To:   MC Wong/Ascend/US
cc:

mcwong@ascend.com wrote:

> THanks for sharing the experience. When you said you forgot
> to upgrade /etc, what exactly do you mean ? Do you mean
> /etc in 3.2 has changed dramatically ? So what is correct
> procedure for upgrading this /etc ?

Not dramatically, as such. Just that 3.2 has both ELF and a.out binary
formats, while 2.2.5 has just a.out. Because of this, /etc/rc in 3.2 needs
to run ldconfig to configure both formats of libraries. A program called
mergemaster is supposed to be good for upgrading /etc, but I haven't
looked at it much. I think it's in the ports tree, either under sysutils
or misc, IIRC.

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and