Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2005 15:09:47 +0100
From:      Anthony Atkielski <atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please don't change Beastie to another crap logo such asNetBSD!!!

Eric Kjeldergaard writes:

> The logo can be seen on the website www.freeBSD.org.  it is in fact a
> relatively (from a printing perspective) high-resolution image of our
> daemon, holding a pitchfork on his left side.  He is slightly facing
> forward, though looks off somewhat to the right.  I know, "He's a
> mascot, not a daemon"...but that's not entirely true (not true at
> all?).

Tell you what:  Go out and find out how much it would cost to print
10,000 copies of that "logo" on paper, exactly as it appears on the
site, in crisp detail and bright colors.  Then you'll see why a separate
logo is required.

> A name, symbol, or trademark designed for easy and definite
> recognition, especially one borne on a single printing plate or piece
> of type.

Yes, a _single printing plate_ or a _piece of type_.  The image you
reference doesn't even come close to that.

> These are definitely vague enough to not disqualify an image of our
> daemon on technical merit.

It's precisely this technical merit that causes the problem.  Beastie is
too unsuitable for printing or for use in a wide range of media.

--
Anthony