Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2014 10:04:10 -0700
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Filesystem errors with VirtIO

wrote:

> I'm running FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE on a virtualized KVM server. I'm
> using VirtIO from base to access NIC and HDD directly. Filesystem is
> UFS2 with Journaling and SU. Last week I had to reinstall FreeBSD
> because the salvation of the several filesystem errors wasn't possible
> anymore. I don't have any evidence but I guess it has something to do
> with the VirtIO driver.
>=20
> After running the machine for 48 hours with a freshly installed
> FreeBSD 10 several soft update inconsistencies occur:
> [fsck output trimmed]
>=20
> After a reboot different inconsistencies appear. I had the very same
> problems with 9.2-RELEASE, which caused the need of a reinstallation
> of the OS (errors like "vtbd0: hard error cmd=3Dwrite fsbn 24162"
> occured).
>=20
> Can someone confirm these problems with VirtIO? What else can I do?

FWIW I've been running multiple FreeBSD VMs atop KVM+virtio for some =
time and haven't seen any issues like this. My VMs include FreeBSD 9.2 =
and 10.0-RC on both UFS and ZFS.

What can you tell us about the underlying storage? LVM volume? iSCSI? =
Qcow2 or other disk image file? If so, what type of filesystem is it on? =
etc.

JN