Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 13:06:50 -0700
From:      "Tomlinson, Drew" <Drew.Tomlinson@lc.ca.gov>
To:        "'kstewart@urx.com'" <kstewart@urx.com>
Cc:        'Mark Ovens' <marko@freebsd.org>, "'FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Part #1 - Newbie Help Determining Lost Root After Upgrade Fro	m 4.0 to 4.1

--Boundary_(ID_vNSHCfN9hxDMw9erb4KBrg)

> > "Tomlinson, Drew" wrote:
> >
> > Thank you both for your help.  I am compiling a new kernel right
> > now.
> >
> > I'm actually in California but I use a dynamic IP (dynip.com) DNS
> > service that is located in Canada.  So would this be why I had an
> > error using CVSup with the "cvs-crypto" tag?  I don't remember the
> > exact error but it was something along the lines of it not being
> > available.  When I commented out the "cvs-crypto" and uncommented
> > the individual collections, I didn't get the unavailable error.
>
> That message was caused by the fact they folded crypto in to src-all.
> The cryto stuff should all be commented out or moved in front of the
> ports-all tag=. section. I think commented out is the best choice
> because it is already in src-all. I don't include the ports with my
> system cvsup. I update the ports and docs manually because they are
> based on tag=. and I don't mixed different worlds :). The fact that
> you have your crypto stuff after the ports-all tag=. concerns me. I
> have doubts on this but no notion what it did for you or to you. I
> just don't do it that way because of my way of handling building my
> world.

I just edited the supfile that was installed with the port.  That's the
order it was in.  How do you update the ports and docs manually?  Do you
have a different supfile with just the ports and docs?  Or is there some
other command.

> > So what problems am I likely to encounter once I get a good kernel?
> > Also, you are correct, mergemaster didn't actually update anything
> > as the default is to leave it for later.  I've read the man page but
> > don't understand why/when I want to keep, replace, or merge.  I am
> > completely new to Unix and am having a difficult time grasping
> > concepts.
>
> I am very carefull to always use a KERNEL=SOMETHING on my buildkernel.
> The previous commands stick around in roots history file. I rarely
> modify my kernel config file and so I always do the
> build[install]kernel method in /usr/src/UPDATING. I find I can get
> away without doing the intermediate singe user mode boot but you
> shouldn't try it right now.

Thanks.  I did use KERNEL=SOMETHING (machine name) as suggested by the
handbook.  But I'm curious.  Why do you rarely modify your kernel config
file?  I thought that one of the main advantages to Unix was in creating a
custom kernel specific to each machine, thus streamlining the OS and
speeding things up significantly.  Is this a misperception?

> With mergemaster I follow the rule that anything I haven't modified I
> use the new file (the "i" option). That is what the system is
> expecting to use. You will have to update what seems like 100 files.
> It will try to change your host* files. I look at those and do it
> manually (the <cr> option). I have modified my dot.* files and I don't
> let it change them back. It will try to change /root/.* files and I
> don't let it do that either. My root aliases kept disappearing until
> the light went on.
>
> Sendmail is going to thrash around until you build a new aliases.db
> using the "newaliases" command. That is discussed in the first screen
> of text on /usr/src/UPDATING.

When my compile finally finishes, I'll try these steps.  With the exception
of the console, I'm locked out.  I can't telnet in as I have no IP
connection.  Any attempt to ping from my machine returns a "no route to
host" message even on the same subnet.  I hope this is just because my
system is between verisons right now?  If not then I'll tackle that one
next.

[snip]

Thanks again!

Drew

--Boundary_(ID_vNSHCfN9hxDMw9erb4KBrg)

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>RE: Part #1 - Newbie Help Determining Lost Root After Upgrade =
Fro	m 4.0 to 4.1</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; &quot;Tomlinson, Drew&quot; wrote:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; Thank you both for your help.&nbsp; I am =
compiling a new kernel right</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; now.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; I'm actually in California but I use a =
dynamic IP (dynip.com) DNS</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; service that is located in Canada.&nbsp; =
So would this be why I had an</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; error using CVSup with the =
&quot;cvs-crypto&quot; tag?&nbsp; I don't remember the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; exact error but it was something along the =
lines of it not being</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; available.&nbsp; When I commented out the =
&quot;cvs-crypto&quot; and uncommented</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; the individual collections, I didn't get =
the unavailable error.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; That message was caused by the fact they folded =
crypto in to src-all.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; The cryto stuff should all be commented out or =
moved in front of the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; ports-all tag=3D. section. I think commented =
out is the best choice</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; because it is already in src-all. I don't =
include the ports with my</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; system cvsup. I update the ports and docs =
manually because they are</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; based on tag=3D. and I don't mixed different =
worlds :). The fact that</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; you have your crypto stuff after the ports-all =
tag=3D. concerns me. I</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; have doubts on this but no notion what it did =
for you or to you. I</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; just don't do it that way because of my way of =
handling building my</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; world.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I just edited the supfile that was installed with the =
port.&nbsp; That's the order it was in.&nbsp; How do you update the =
ports and docs manually?&nbsp; Do you have a different supfile with =
just the ports and docs?&nbsp; Or is there some other =
command.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; So what problems am I likely to encounter =
once I get a good kernel?</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; Also, you are correct, mergemaster didn't =
actually update anything</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; as the default is to leave it for =
later.&nbsp; I've read the man page but</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; don't understand why/when I want to keep, =
replace, or merge.&nbsp; I am</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; completely new to Unix and am having a =
difficult time grasping</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; concepts.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; I am very carefull to always use a =
KERNEL=3DSOMETHING on my buildkernel.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; The previous commands stick around in roots =
history file. I rarely</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; modify my kernel config file and so I always do =
the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; build[install]kernel method in =
/usr/src/UPDATING. I find I can get</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; away without doing the intermediate singe user =
mode boot but you</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; shouldn't try it right now.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Thanks.&nbsp; I did use KERNEL=3DSOMETHING (machine =
name) as suggested by the handbook.&nbsp; But I'm curious.&nbsp; Why do =
you rarely modify your kernel config file?&nbsp; I thought that one of =
the main advantages to Unix was in creating a custom kernel specific to =
each machine, thus streamlining the OS and speeding things up =
significantly.&nbsp; Is this a misperception?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; With mergemaster I follow the rule that anything =
I haven't modified I</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; use the new file (the &quot;i&quot; option). =
That is what the system is</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; expecting to use. You will have to update what =
seems like 100 files.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; It will try to change your host* files. I look =
at those and do it</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; manually (the &lt;cr&gt; option). I have =
modified my dot.* files and I don't</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; let it change them back. It will try to change =
/root/.* files and I</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; don't let it do that either. My root aliases =
kept disappearing until</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; the light went on.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Sendmail is going to thrash around until you =
build a new aliases.db</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; using the &quot;newaliases&quot; command. That =
is discussed in the first screen</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; of text on /usr/src/UPDATING.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>When my compile finally finishes, I'll try these =
steps.&nbsp; With the exception of the console, I'm locked out.&nbsp; I =
can't telnet in as I have no IP connection.&nbsp; Any attempt to ping =
from my machine returns a &quot;no route to host&quot; message even on =
the same subnet.&nbsp; I hope this is just because my system is between =
verisons right now?&nbsp; If not then I'll tackle that one =
next.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>[snip]</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Thanks again!</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Drew</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_vNSHCfN9hxDMw9erb4KBrg)--