Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2000 21:47:59 -0700
From:      "Matt Simerson" <mpsimerson@hostpro.com>
To:        "'A G F Keahan'" <ak@freenet.co.uk>
Cc:        "'freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Optimal UFS parameters

That's because any "consensus" would be inappropriate for mass consumtion.
It really depends on a lot of fun things like the average file size and the
number of files that the drives will be storing. For example, a mail server
might want more inodes than a database server. The mail server will likely
have a lot of tiny files where the database server would have a collection
of much larger (a few k vs several mb's each).

What makes you think the defaults are unreasonable? I set up a 300GB
filesystem a few months ago. I ran a few numbers, calculated my average file
size, compared it to the defaults and found they were very close to
reasonable. When I get a couple hundred gig's of data on there I'll know
better but I think my guess-timates are very good.

Matt