Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 2000 23:52:36 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AlphaXL FAQ

Henrik Wist <wist@ex.MuFFiN.Org> wrote:

> > There is a WIP in /sys/boot/arc/ to allow us to boot and run on
> > AlphaBIOS.  So you'd need to jump in and hack on that to finish it.
> Haven't looked at it (all 3.x boxes here), but how much work do you think it
> would be? Is it feasible anyway to do it in the copious spare time?

It should be pointed out that this was basically a single-handed
effort by Stefan Esser, who stopped working on this (probably for
reasons external to the project) quite some time ago.  Stefan's
work served to create a bootstrap for loading a kernel under
AlphaBIOS.  I don't know how close he was to finishing this.

A separate, and probably more difficult problem is the PALcode
issue.  PALcode is a kind of very low level firmware that provides
abstractions for the details of various low level operations that
are determined by the implementation (exact type of CPU and board)
rather than the general alpha architecture.  Interrupt handling,
cache issues, things like that.  There are different types of
PALcode to support different operating systems (Unix, VMS, MS
Windows NT).  The SRM console for a platform contains the Unix/VMS
PALcode, the ARC/ARCSBIOS/AlphaBIOS consoles the NT PALcode.  BSD
requires the Unix PALcode.

Linux circumvented this problem by providing the MILO bootstrap
which carries its own PALcode.  Unfortunately, I'm told the MILO
PALcode is insufficient to run BSD--apart from potential copyright
issues.

So, we need:
- A bootloader for ARC.  (Partly done.)
- Unix PALcode for every type of machine to be supported.

FWIW, I have a PC164UX machine (aka "Ruffian", designed by Deskstation,
ARCSBIOS, no SRM) sitting here that does very little since I've
become rather unhappy with Linux.  I think that's the same type of
machine Stefan was working on, so I guess I should check out how
far he got.

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell the technicial issues of getting
BSD to run on ARC machines are way over my head.  I'm not sure how
much actual work this is, but the required _expertise_ is a big
obstacle.