Date:      Sat, 01 Jul 2000 11:45:28 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        wilko@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, KATO Takenori <kato@ganko.eps.nagoya-u.ac.jp>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: invlpg produces strange sig11 on PentiumPro box

In message <20000701113658.B16983@freebie.wbnet>, Wilko Bulte writes:

>> >Maybe make it conditional via an option in the kernel config file?
>> >Off by default of course. Looking at LINT/NOTES I see very obscure things
>> >for Cyrix and Bluelightning CPUs already.
>>
>> But Wilko,
>>
>> Those hacks are because the silicon, when used as directed, has flaws.
>
>OK, I understand that. But it appears to me that this patch allows the use
>of Si that should have had it's problems correct by the BIOS but in fact has
>not (because a corrected BIOS is not available). I'm one of those people
>who prefer a built-in, docuemted, switchable patch/hack over one that needs
>to be hunted down on the Net and applied. Heck, if I wanted to do that I
>would have chosen Linux ;-)

I'm sorry, but I still don't think this patch belongs in FreeBSD.

What guarantee do you have that this is enough to make those CPUs run
reliably anyway ?  As far as I know Intel never released the errata
which the microcode updates fixes anyway.

I'm still against.

FreeBSD coreteam member | BSD since 4.3-tahoe