Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2019 14:59:47 +0100
From:      Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
To:        Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>
Cc:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The status of docker

Am 19.01.2019 um 15:24 schrieb Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>:
>=20
> Hello, does anyone know the current status of docker on FreeBSD? Wiki =
https://wiki.freebsd.org/Docker states it's experimental. The last =
commit in https://github.com/kvasdopil/docker/tree/freebsd-compat is =
also from 2015.
>=20
> There in fact are two ports, freebsd-docker (from 2015) and docker =
(18.06). What's the difference between them and which one should I use =
to run docker images on FreeBSD host?

I believe at this point in time, all you can do is have a Linux machine =
somewhere (for example, in a local Bhyve VM), and use the Docker command =
line client from FreeBSD to manage it. That=E2=80=99s what =
sysutils/docker is for.

> Has this project been completed and now only needs testing, or has it =
been abandoned, or maybe the approach has changed and I am looking in a =
wrong place?

It looks abandoned, unfortunately.  And looking at the entire container =
infrastructure, reviving it would require a significant effort. For =
example, it most real-life usage scenarios, you want to be able to =
manipulate IPFW/PF entries to forward ports from a host interface into a =
container, which would require special plugins for Docker, or a =
compatibility shim that allows Docker to use iptables APIs/ABIs.

Going even further, pretty much everything in the ecosystem (k8s, etc.) =
assumes it's running on top of a Linux kernel including a number of =
management APIs that are not (completely) emulated on FreeBSD.

While I would love to see proper Docker support in FreeBSD, I=E2=80=99m =
not sure its even the right thing to aim for. In Docker production =
environments, people generally try to pare down the host OS to the =
absolute minimum, and at that point, what benefit would you derive from =
FreeBSD as a host?

Similarly, why would you want to run FreeBSD-ABI containers, =
specifically? One of the benefits of the container ecosystem is that =
there are many ready-made images you can build on. Having to re-invent =
all of this seems of little benefit to me.

Just my 2 cents,
Stefan

--=20
Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811