Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2018 14:07:52 -0300
From:      "Dr. Rolf Jansen" <rj@obsigna.com>
To:        Hyun Hwang <hyun@caffeinated.codes>
Cc:        Mike <the.lists@mgm51.com>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 12.0 BETA1 - pkg command error

freebsd-arm" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>=20
>> I've installed the 12.0 BETA1 on a RPi3.
>>=20
>> When I try to use the pkg command, I get this error:
>>=20
>>=20
>> The package management tool is not yet installed on your system.
>> Do you want to fetch and install it now? [y/N]: y
>> Bootstrapping pkg from
>> pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:12:aarch64/latest, please wait...
>> Verifying signature with trusted certificate
>> pkg.freebsd.org.2013102301... done
>> Installing pkg-1.10.5_3...
>> Extracting pkg-1.10.5_3: 100%
>> ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libssl.so.8" not found, required by "pkg"
>>=20
>> How can I work around it?
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> I have experienced this too on RPi 2. When I manually compiled pkg out =
of ports-mgmt/pkg, the error went gone. Probably still some fallout =
after OpenSSL 1.1.1.
>=20
> So yeah, try to build one yourself instead of getting the prebuilt =
binary.
> --=20
> Hyun Hwang

In addition, note, that this does not only affect pkg. All ports and =
other 3rdparty software which somehow depend on OpenSSL need to be =
recompiled.

In order to know which ports/packages are affected, I issued the =
following command. After some minutes this would spill out a list of =
packages which must be re-installed:

find /usr/local/bin /usr/local/sbin /usr/local/libexec /usr/local/lib =
-type f | xargs -n1 file -F =E2=80=9A ' | grep ELF | cut -f1 -d' ' | =
xargs ldd -f '%A %o\n' | grep "libssl.so\|libcrypto.so" | cut -f1 -d' ' =
| sort -u | xargs -n1 pkg which -p | cut -f6 -d' ' | sort -u

Best regards

Rolf