Date:      Thu, 29 Dec 94 10:49:31 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        MULHOLLENJ@cpva.saic.com (John Mulhollen)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com, MULHOLLENJ@cpva.saic.com
Subject:   Re: Bernoulli drives and FreeBSD?

> I haven't tried it yet, but should there be any problems using the two? I'd
> like to be able to use the bernoulli as backup media and as install
> target (at different times of course!). I would think (this is where I
>
> usually go wrong...) that they;d look like standard scsi drives and everything
> is wonderful...

Formatting is a problem...

(1)	I don't thing we support formatting of SCSI devices

(2)	If we did, the Bernoulli drives *lie* and say they are done
	formatting immediately.  A correct implementation would
	have them ack the format *after* they were in a state to
	accept further SCSI commands.  I've seen problems with a
	Kawai synthesizer that uses removable SCSI media for patches
	and so on, whereas it worked fine with a Syquest.

(3)	The Bernoulli dual drives show up as LUN 0 and 1 on the
	same SCSI device.  This is a potential problem -- I don't
	think all the SCSI drivers for BSD have been tested to make
	sure they all work with LUN's.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---