Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 95 9:51:09 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        me@tartufo.pcs.dec.com, wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: backspace now broken (proposal)

> >>The default environment as provided by the kernel and sh(1) in
> >>single-user mode should not require the presence of any dot files for
> >>correct operation.  For that matter, this should be true in general.
>
> >Amen. Now who's going to change CERASE from 0177 to 010?
>
> I don't think CERASE should change, only the default erase character
> for the console.  Changing it centrally would annoy anyone who logs
> in from somewhere else end depends on the current default.

But make anyone dialing in from another FreeBSD (or Linux) machine
or any other PC very happy.

The only failure is mode is for DEC terminals and emulations from
companies other than Wyse, which has a Backspace there for everything
but the poorly selling Wyse 75.

You could probably make an argument the other way for people using TIP
on a Sun console going the other direction.

Note also that gettydefs allows you to change this on a per callin
line basis anyway.  The fact that there are two standards means that
you will be screwing someone either way, but if you have to screw
someone, it might as well not be another FreeBSD user.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.