Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 1995 14:34:46 EDT
From:      Christopher Provenzano  <proven@MIT.EDU>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@star-gate.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Threads & Coffee ?

> Hi,
>
> The folks at Sun are using threads with HotJava ...
>
> So what is the status of threads for FreeBSD-2.X
> which versions are available and where ?
>

>           Tnks,
>           Amancio

Grab the latest copy pthreads-1_60_beta2 from sipb.mit.edu:/pub/pthreads,
and apply the following patch to configure before the "mips-*-ultrix*)"
line. It got munched in an autoconf accident.

i386-*-freebsd2.*)
        name=i386-freebsd-2.0
        sysincludes=freebsd-2.0
        syscall=i386-freebsd2.0
        makefile_frag=netbsd1.0.mk
        ;;

> Are they using:
>
> o	kernel threads only
> o	user threads only
> o	multiple user threads bound to multiple kernel threads
> o	pthreads
> o	LWP (using async I/O to implement user space threads, in
> 	a SunOS 4.1.x backward copmatability mode)
> o	sigsched type threads

>From talking with them it seems that they only need user threads and they
are evaluating pthreads as a way of leveraging multiple platforms in one
fell swoop.

Updating your answers ....

  o 	being worked on
  o	????
  o	If you've got kernel threads then pthreads-2_00 will take care of
	this. Due out sometime before the next USENIX.
  o	Yeah, I'm a lame butt. :)
  o	If you've got async I/O then pthreads-1_70 will use it.
	It's a few days worth of hacking to get it into pthreads but 1_60
	is so close to an official release, and if I put it in now I'll be
	tempted to put other hack in and .... you know how releases go.

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@cs.weber.edu
> ---
> or previous employers.