Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 1995 15:31:00 +1000 (EST)
From:      Gary Roberts <gary@wcs.uq.oz.au>
To:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        jmb@kryten.atinc.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Gating hackers into the newsgroups

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:

> > 	great idea!  we can add a couple of commands to majordomo and let
> > it rip.
>
> The problem with this scheme is that it requires too much action on
> the part of the mentor.  I would much prefer to see:

  [output from a perl script deleted :->.]

> You guys are gods!  An answer to my question only 5 minutes after I
> asked it!  I..  I'm going to tell ALL my friends about FreeBSD!  I'm
> going to tell my MOTHER about FreeBSD!  I'm going to tell my DOG.. [etc etc]
>
> ----
>
> I think you guys get the picture.. :-) I really like the idea of
> tracking the conversations in both directions and archiving the
> results.  This has substantial plus points:

> On the minus side, such a system is a LOT harder to initially set up and
> maintain, but then that's just a PERL problem and we all already know that
> PERL can do anything.. :-)

And therein lies the rub ...

I'd like to see something *workable* which can be set up quickly rather
than the `Rolls-Royce' which doesn't make it off the drawing board ...

I'm impressed with the benefits you list but worried about the work to
achieve it all.  Who will volunteer to implement the Rolls-Royce??

If someone sticks their hand up then let's go ...

Cheers,
--
Gary Roberts  (gary@wcs.uq.edu.au) (Ph +617 844 0400   Fax +617 844 0444)
4th Floor, South Bank House, 234 Grey St, South Bank  QLD 4101  Australia.