Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 1995 10:25:52 +0100
From:      Gert-Jan.Vons@ocegr.fr
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        nate@rocky.sri.mt.net (Nate Williams), questions@freebsd.org, hm@altona.hamburg.com
Subject:   Re: 2.1R+PCVT+Xfree on Thinkpad

 |There are two ways to gain access to scanset I: you could switch the
 |keyboard, or you could try convincing the controller to perform the
 |translation.  I'd recommed the van Gilluwe for the details (but i
 |could also go further in email if you'd like to know, Nate).

For those interested: "switching the keyboard" is done by sending it
the 0xF0 command, with as argument the number of the requested scanset
(0:report current scanset, 1:scanset 1, 2:scanset 2, 3:scanset 3
(testing purposes only?)).  "Convincing the controller" is done by
setting bit 6 in the command byte.

As van Gilluwe states, not all controllers/keyboards accept both
methods, but he describes a way to find out which method the
controller/keyboard supports. It boils down to "just do it and see
if it sticks", i.e. set the bit and read it afterward to see whether
the controller accepts it.  (PCVT could do that, too... (hint :)

 |I suspect earlier Thinkpads to support only one of both methods
 |(though i'm not sure which), while later ones might have dropped both.

Hmmm...so my Thinkpad modified itself between fbsd 2.0 and 2.1 ? :-)
I've had fbsd 2.0+pcvt+xfree running, so i'm surprised it no longer
works with fbsd 2.1...

By the way, something that might cause problems with ps/2 mice is the
PCVT_USEKBDSEC (override security lock inhibit) flag, since that bit
(bit 3 in the command byte) is used to enable/disable the mouse on
MCA/ps2 machines (again, see the van Gilluwe book). I think there
may be other conflicts as well (on MCA/ps2 systems, there also is a
bit that enables/ disables the irq 12 for example).

Note that this is all from the top of my head, don't have the book
at hand to check it.

	Gert-Jan

J.G. Vons, Oce engineering Creteil, France | E-mail: Gert-Jan.Vons@ocegr.fr