Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 02:07:02 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org
Cc:        frussell@p1.cs.ohiou.edu, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: possible problem with SMP?

> I sent patches for this (both xosview and per CPU sysctls) last year, but
> no one responded. I'd agree that there is a value to keeping the commit
> privileges to a few "commiters". But I find the fact that patches posted
> to the list go unanswered/ignored discouraging for new contributors and
> when it happens repeatedly, a bit insulting too.

I'm sorry that your PRs were ignored - could you perhaps cite the PR
numbers so that I can unearth these again?  Sometimes people and
patches simply slip through the cracks and it's not through lack of
people *wanting* to keep up with submissions.  There are certain
frailties in volunteer-driven structures like ours and this is one of
them, as much as I hate to say it.  What the PR system does at least
do for us is allow us to pull up the PRs in quesiton now and try to
deal with them in "better late than never" fashion.

If it's also clear that a lot of your PRs are logjamming in the
system, asking to for such commit "privileges" yourself is the
time-honored way of going about doing it.  All you need is for one of
the almost 250 other committers to be willing to "mentor" you in your
application and that's something many of them are very willing to do.

- Jordan