Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 1995 20:16:05 PDT
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        roberto@blaise.ibp.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        wollman@freefall.cdrom.com (Garrett A. Wollman), current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: traceroute with LSRR options

In message <199506220941.LAA02391@blaise.ibp.fr> you write:
>Speaking of traceroute, it would be nice to have the version
>that support loose sorce routing, the "-g" option...

I attempted to port Matt Mathis's original LSRR patches to our traceroute.
It turns out that Matt's code assumes that, even if you set IP_HDRINCL,
the kernel will include any options you set with IP_OPTIONS.  Our rip_output,
however, says:

        if ((inp->inp_flags & INP_HDRINCL) == 0) {
                opts = inp->inp_options;
        } else {
                opts = NULL;
	}

Is there any reason not to allow the insertion of options with the IP_OPTIONS
setsockopt(), even if the user has set IP_HDRINCL?

(I know that Stevens says the convention is that if you set IP_HDRINCL
then you really mean IP_HDRINCL.  But I also think that if you set
IP_OPTIONS then you really mean IP_OPTIONS...)

  Bill