Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 1996 13:47:20 -0800
From:      patl@asimov.volant.org
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.1R -vs- 3c509 : Probe failure

Hi,

I've just installed FreeBSD 2.1R on an older 486 ISA/VESA machine;
and it is refusing to recoginze the 3Com 3c509.  It is an older board
and does not appear to support Plug-n-Play.

This is a fresh install from the CD-ROM; so I'm still using the
default GENERIC kernel; and I'm fairly confident that no other
boards are responding at 0x300.

Initially, the probe was reporting:

	1 3C5x9 board(s) on ISA found at 0x210
	ep0 not found at 0x300

This address was probably the result of an earlier Win95 install.
The admin logbook configuration chart shows that board as always
having been at the default 0x300/irq10.  When I used the 3Com
config utility to reset the address and IRQ, the FreeBSD probe
stopped recognising the board at all.

I've searched the mail archives for -questions and -hardware; but
was unable to find any reference to a probe problem with the older
non-PnP 3c509.

Any ideas, short of replacing the 3c509, would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Pat

My opinions are my own.  For a small royalty, they can be yours as well...
Pat Lashley, Senior Software Engineer, Henry Davis Consulting
patl@Phoenix.Volant.ORG  ||  http://Phoenix.Volant.ORG/  ||  lashley@netcom.com