Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 97 20:32:04 -0500
From:      cr@jcmax.com (Cyrus Rahman)
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   System locks up with APIC_IO enabled

A few days ago I downloaded the 3.0-SMP code and tried it out on a Gigabyte
GA586DX motherboard with 2 pentium-200's.

The code works extremely well and it's pretty impressive to see what the
box can do.  The kernel works fine under very considerable loads, e.g. large
make's, cpu-intensive loading, etc.

But there is a problem that occurs while I stream in lots of data from an
SMC 100mbit ethernet card while the cpu's are busy.  Namely, if I generate
an interrupt from the ISA bus the system freezes up completely with some
regularity.  Moving the PS/2 mouse or using the sound card are both pretty
good ways of doing this.

The problem doesn't occur if I stream data in through the same SMC card at
10mbit/sec, or (at least, not as often) if the cpu's aren't busy.

The problem also doesn't occur with the UP kernel or if APIC_IO isn't
enabled.

Not being that familiar with FreeBSD (I last did any serious kernel work on
the PDP-11 and Vax), I'm a bit baffled about how to go about tracking the
problem down.  I haven't figured out any way of examining the state of the
system after it locks up, or even of generating a crash dump.  I can't
invoke the kernel debugger while the system is locked because it appears
that the keyboard interrupts are masked.

So I'm writing for two reasons - first, to mention that there does still
appear to be at least one disruptive problem with the APIC_IO code, and
second, to ask if anyone has any ideas for how I might go about locating
the problem.

Cyrus