Date:      Wed, 2 Apr 1997 15:20:01 PST
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        Pedro Giffuni <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
Cc:        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: blas, eispack, linpack need new MASTER_SITES

Pedro Giffuni <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co> wrote:
>This
>packages ALL need severe maintainance: The original porters downloaded
>bazillions of .Z files while they could have downloaded a single .tar
>file with the .Z files. (The netlib maintainer packs things in a weird
>manner.

The .tar file would have both the .Z and the .gz files, right?  I'm not
sure that doubling the size of the distfile is a big win (although fetching
all those little files does suck).  Plus, making the FTP server tar up
the files for you means that path information gets into the tarball,
which can be bad if different master sites have different paths.

I did a little bit of stuff on these 3 ports, giving them new MASTER_SITES
and cleaning up their Makefiles a little, but if you want to change the
distfile fetching maybe I can just send you my diffs as a starting point.

  Bill