Date:      Mon, 2 Feb 1998 15:28:38 PST
From:      "Marty Leisner" <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        jord@gnawk.dial.eunet.es, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partitioning 3.5 G HD for FreeBSD

> On Sat, Jan 31, 1998 at 12:50:55AM +0100, J. Jordana wrote:
> >
> > Sorry to ask but I haven't seen this in any FAQ.
> >
> > Coming from Linux, I want to partition a new HD with 3.5 G for FreeBSD only.
> > I would like to know the space requirements for:
> >
> > /
> > /usr
> > /usr/home
> > /usr/src
> > /usr/local
> >
> > for a full installation, all sources included from the 2.2.5 Walnut Creek
> > CDROM
>
> /	40 MB
> swap	128 MB
> /usr	the rest
>
> There's no reason to have separate file systems for /usr/src and
> /usr/local.  Some people prefer a separate /var file system, but I
> don't recommend that either.  Instead create a directory /usr/var and
> make /var a symlink to that directory.
>
> Greg

Hmmm...I'm not sure I agree...

I like to have more partitions for several reasons:
	1) if you fill up 1 partition, you still have space elsewhere
	2) if a partition for some reason gets scrogged, the others
	will still work.
	On many systems, /usr can be read-only for all practical purposes,
	with /usr/tmp on a writable system.

I would like to see a discussion of this in documentation.
--
marty
leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com