Date:      Sun, 25 May 2014 12:36:12 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Do _any_ USB 3.0 cards actually work?

--Apple-Mail=_694247E5-066C-4047-8BCA-BC3D6D2245C8

On 25 May 2014, at 11:34, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg@tristatelogic.com> =
wrote:
>> I have 2 USB3 cards, one works and one doesn't, unfortunately I =
haven't
>> been able to determine why as yet.
>=20
> What is the brand and model number of the one that works?
>=20
> What is the brand and model number of the one that doesn't?
>=20
> It would be helpful to know in both cases.

They're both generic OEM ones unfortunately so the amount of useful =
information on them is pretty small.

They show up as..

xhci0@pci0:3:0:0:       class=3D0x0c0330 card=3D0x34321106 =
chip=3D0x34321106 rev=3D0x03 hdr=3D0x00
xhci1@pci0:5:0:0:	class=3D0x0c0330 card=3D0x70521b6f =
chip=3D0x70521b6f rev=3D0x00 hdr=3D0x00

xhci0: <XHCI (generic) USB 3.0 controller> mem 0xfbeff000-0xfbefffff irq =
17 at device 0.0 on pci3
xhci0: 32 byte context size.
usbus1 on xhci0

xhci1: <XHCI (generic) USB 3.0 controller> mem 0xfbcf8000-0xfbcfffff irq =
17 at device 0.0 on pci5
xhci1: 64 byte context size.
usbus2 on xhci1

xhci0 works, xhci1 doesn't.

I'll take pictures of them on Monday.

> Also, for the one that "works", are you able to connect a device to =
that,
> disconnect it and then reconnect it again and have it work after that?
> (I had trouble with this in the past with my other 3.0 card, even when
> only using external 2.0 devices, if I am recalling correctly.)

Yes, that works for me.

>> This isn't a helpful thing to say when you're using a volunteer =
project.
>=20
> Sorry.  Having invested in two different USB 3.0 PCIe cards and a =
couple
> of external 3.0 enclosures... all of which I had some hope would work,
> by now, on FreeBSD... and all of which *do* in fact work entirely well
> on Linux, I do hope that perhaps my level of frustration is =
understandable.
>=20
> There are about a thousand or so different ethernet chipsets, so I can
> well and truly understand why this or that ethernet controller isn't
> supported yet.  But how many different USB chipsets are there?  Maybe
> like ten, total, including both 3.0 and 2.0?  And aren't all of these
> different USB chipsets *supposed* to present one "standard" =
programatic
> interface (to the driver) anyway?

Sure they are, but lots of corners are cut - none of the manufacturers =
test on FreeBSD, you'd be lucky if they tested on Linux. The upshot is =
that if it works on Windows then it is considered fine.

That pushes the burden onto FreeBSD developers to work out what the =
differences are and work around them. You can also bet most hardware =
manufacturers aren't going to help either.

You'll note that on the page you posted it says you must install the =
special VIA driver for the card to work - that seems to be a tacit =
admission that the hardware doesn't behave as it should hence the =
standard driver doesn't work.

> Anyway, ignoring the investment in MONEY I've already made... for =
naught,

Luckily USB3 PCI cards are pretty cheap.

FWIW this is almost exactly the situation USB2 was in - there were many =
chipsets which did not work very well at the start so for high =
performance applications like SDR (eg using Ettus USRPs) you had to be =
very choosy about which ones to use otherwise it wouldn't work.

>  /pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/amd64/amd64/10.0-STABLE
>=20
> on one of the FreeBSD mirrors, and I haven't the vaguest idea what to =
do
> with that stuff in order to get it all installed onto an empty drive.
>=20
> If you or someone else tells me how to do that, then I will be happy =
> do so and then see if either of these 3.0 cards I have will work with
> that, and if not I'll try to help debug the problem(s).

You want an ISO from
http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/ISO-IMAGES/11.0/
or
http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/ISO-IMAGES/10.0/

although to be honest I don't believe the USB stack is substantially =
different between stable and head so there's probably not much point.

You could try gathering some debugging using usbdump and sysctl =
hw.usb.uhub.debug=3D15
(although deciphering it requires knowledge of how USB works and how the =
stack is written..)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum