Date:      Sun, 9 Aug 2015 18:02:54 +0100
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <brde@optusnet.com.au>, src-committers@freebsd.org, svn-src-projects@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: svn commit: r286521 - projects/collation/lib/libc/locale

On 9 Aug 2015, at 17:39, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>=20
> Well on the review David recommended to use asprintf rather than =
snprintf.
>=20
> While I dislike the option (as I stated in the review) given he wrote =
most of
> the recent changes (xlocale) I followed his recommendations.

Having a large (1028 byte currently) buffer on the stack won=E2=80=99t =
push you over the guard page if you run out of stack, but will mean that =
if you=E2=80=99re near the end of the stack you=E2=80=99ll get a =
segfault.  And if there are bugs in the length calculation then we just =
get a bigger allocation than expected, we don=E2=80=99t get a stack =
buffer overflow.

In both places, the buffer is only used in one place and so it should =
only need freeing in one place, though it will require splitting the =
next lines so that the open call is followed by the free and then the =
check of the error return.

We have this pattern in enough places in libc that it=E2=80=99s probably =
worth pulling it out into a function something like this:

int
open_format(const char * restrict format, int oflag, ...)
{
	char *path;
	int file;
	va_list ap;

	va_start(ap, format);
	vasprintf(&path, format, ap);
	va_end(ap);
	if (path =3D=3D NULL)
		return (NULL);
	file =3D open(path, oflag);
	free(path);
	return (file);
}

I think every single one of the locale lookup data loading functions =
would benefit from using this instead of the existing code path.  There =
are a few other places in libc that seem to do this as well.

As I said in the code review, when we=E2=80=99re doing a printf and some =
file I/O, the cost of a short-lived heap allocation is likely to be in =
the noise.

David