Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 2014 14:25:20 -0600
From:      Matthew Pherigo <hybrid120@gmail.com>
To:        krad <kraduk@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dropbox on FreeBSD

Usually, nesting two file syncing solutions on top of each other is a recipe=
 for an unwilling sacrifice to the gods of corrupted files. It's really not r=
ecommended. :/

--Matt

> On Feb 15, 2014, at 12:25 PM, krad <kraduk@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> you could always nest your dropbox folders within a btsync share on a wind=
ows or a linux box which would provide best of both worlds
>=20
>=20
>=20
>> On 15 February 2014 18:01, Matthew Pherigo <hybrid120@gmail.com> wrote:
>> +1 for Bittorrent Sync.
>>=20
>> As I understand it, Dropbox relies on the inotify functionality in the Li=
nux kernel, and there is no equivalent function in the FreeBSD kernel (which=
 is why the linux compatibility layer doesn't have an inotify function eithe=
r). There are some unofficial solutions to this problem, but as far as I can=
 see, btsync is a great solution.
>>=20
>> Now, it should be noted that btsync is just dumb peer-to-peer folder sync=
ing. Although it accomplishes a lot of what you would want from dropbox, if y=
ou're a regular user of features like the web interface, then you would prob=
ably be a lot better off setting up an instance of Sparkleshare on your pers=
onal Web server. Sparkleshare is intended to be an open-source dropbox compe=
titor, that has the features that btsync is missing. The disadvantage, of co=
urse, is that Sparkleshare requires a Web server, while btsync only needs to=
 be installed on the computers you wish to sync files on.
>>=20
>> --Matt
>>=20

 Do