Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 2010 19:55:40 -0700
From:      Gil Vidals <gvidals@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   zfs enabled freebsd requires root zfs partition?

I'm new to both FreeBSD and ZFS and need some guidance. The only way I could
get zfs to work was by installing FreeBSD directly on a freebsd-ZFS file
system, which isn't supported by default by sysinstall. I had to run the
zfsinstall.sh script which creates the freebsd-ZFS file system and compiles
freeBSD.

Whenever If I used the standard install (UFS file system), I would always
get an "unsupported file system" error whenever I tried to kldload zfs.ko.

Is there away to install FreeBSD on the standard UFS file system and then
use the other disks on the server for ZFS?

I would appreciate any hints.

Thanks,
Gil Vidals