Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2014 14:27:35 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@turbofuzz.com>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD support being added to GlusterFS

On Jun 27, 2014, at 12:04 AM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org> =
wrote:

> For you information here is my version:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~bapt/glusterfs.diff
>=20
> It is just missing the license bits
>=20
> if everyone here agrees I'll commit :)

Seems reasonable.  Question from my own "questions to be asked about =
glusterfs" pile:  Paths.  I notice that glusterd requires quite a few =
path not in the standard hierarchy for /usr/local (or any value of =
${prefix}) that will cause it to simply fall over upon first invocation. =
 To wit:

/var/lib/glusterd (nothing in FreeBSD uses /var/lib at all - /var/db, =
/var/run and /var/tmp are more canonical locations, depending on what =
you [the service] are trying to do).

In fact, ${prefix}/var seems to be generally avoided by most things in =
ports.  /usr/local/var/log is highly atypical, for example.

This also creates problems for us in FreeNAS since our root filesystem =
is read-only by default, and we simply make parts of /var (the root =
/var) r/w to accommodate things wanting to write into /var/log, =
/var/tmp/, /var/run and so on.  I would hope that the port could also be =
configured to run as a system component, or at least obey a more =
predictable ${prefix} hierarchy so that we could map things suitably r/w =
into the location(s) that glusterfs needs to scribble on at runtime.

I was going to write all of this up in a more exhaustive email but I got =
side-tracked by other projects. :)

- Jordan