Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 1998 09:23:31 -0500
From:      Chris Sagar <CSagar@exchange.iterated.com>
To:        "'freebsd-fs@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ccd problems / part 4

OK guys, I have finally gotten one ccd volume up and stable. Now my next
problem -

I am setting up the second ccd volume and I can not get all the disks
labeled. Here is what I've got.

8 4-GB scsi disks in a rack mounted chassis that is back-planed. No
interconnecting cables between disks. Disk scsi ID numbers are:

1	2	3	4	11	12	13	14

At bootup, BIOS sees the disks correctly, Adaptec SCSI-Select sees the
disks correctly, OS boot sees the disks correctly. When I do disklabel
on disk  sd001 thru sd004, they are tagged ( as evidenced by the
activity light) correctly. When I disklabel sd011, the target disk of ID
13 activates. When I disklabel sd012, disk ID 14 lights. I can not get
disk Ids 11 and 12 to light. I have the following wired-down statements
in kernel config file -
controller      scbus0 at ahc0
controller      scbus1 at ahc1

disk            sd001 at scbus0 target 1
disk            sd002 at scbus0 target 2
disk            sd003 at scbus0 target 3
disk            sd004 at scbus0 target 4
disk            sd011 at scbus0 target 11
disk            sd012 at scbus0 target 12
disk            sd013 at scbus0 target 13
disk            sd014 at scbus0 target 14

These are disks that have never been attached to the FreeBSD system
before. They were on an SGI server. The other ccd volume is exactly the
same configuration, with devices names of /dev/sd1xx where xx is the
target ID number. It is working fine.

How do I get the disklabeling to access the drives I want.  I have moved
the drives around in the mounting chassis, I have changed the cable
connecting to the chassis.

Thanks again for your help and patience in dealing with an old SVR4
person.