Date:      Thu, 4 Nov 2004 17:38:21 -0500
From:      "Michael Scheidell" <scheidell@secnap.net>
To:        <freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Had problems with 4.10 and Dell 750l fixed

I had some problems with a Dell 750 and power management.

(it rebooted instead of powering off)

I THINK it worked with 4_10_RELEASE build, but the 4_10 security release
and RELENG_4 wouldn't power down the computer.

Kernel compiled with any combination of apm0 (nexus, disable, flags,
etc) didn't seem to work. Dmesg didn't find any apm devices.

So, I tried with the acpica option in kernel.

When I pressed the power off button, it pretended to power off, go to
'ACPI Power off'.. Hung there for 10 seconds then said 'failed. Timeout'
and rebooted.

Likewise, shutdown -p did similar, but instead of rebooting, ended with
'press any key to reboot'.=20

Now, with a headless box, you sure want the ability to turn it off
without a user needing to watch a CRT, so I spent some time googling (to
no avail) and testing.

I finally set this in /etc/sysctl.conf:
hw.acpi.disable_on_poweroff=3D0

(it was 1, just like every other box I have seen)

Now it works.

Again, whats funny is that it USED TO WORK FINE, and I don't know why it
stopped.

Ps, I finally found
=20
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/acpi-debug.htm

It suggests hw.acpi.disable_on_poweroff=3D0

So, to help debugging and fixing, here are specs:
Dell poweredge 750 2.8G P4, A02 Bios.
(no way to change anything apm or acpi in bios that I can see)

hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S4 S5
hw.acpi.power_button_state: S5
hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S1
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: S1