Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2013 16:26:34 -0600
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        carlopmart <carlopmart@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Options to monitor/sniff network traffic under a vm

On Aug 25, 2013, at 5:38 AM, carlopmart <carlopmart@gmail.com> wrote:

> I need to monitor/sniff network traffic for three subnets (1 GiB nets) =
and I need to do this using a virtual guest under an ESXi 5 host (yes, =
it is a "handicap").

Not sure about your questions below, but doesn't ESXi 5 support port =
mirroring in the virtual switch? That seems like a better place to do =
most of the heavy lifting. You could still attach your FreeBSD instance =
to the monitor port(s) for analysis. That would hopefully help at least =
with a) by reducing the number of virtual NICs needed.