Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 2008 22:54:34 -0600
From:      "Steven Susbauer" <stupendoussteve@hotmail.com>
To:        cperciva@freebsd.org
Cc:        fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update "can't find update.FreeBSD.org"

Colin Percival wrote:
>RW wrote:
>>With portsnap the default server is itself one of the servers on the
>>SRV list, so portsnap should fall-back to a working server even when
>>DNS is unavailable (behind a proxy) or screwed-up by a router etc.
>>
>>I dont see a reason why update.FreeBSD.org shouldn't have the
>>same A-record as update1.FreeBSD.org, so that it "just works".
>
>With portsnap, I asked for the A record to be created not as a fallback
>for people with broken DNS, but instead as a backwards compatibility
>mechanism for people who were running old versions of portsnap which
>didn't do SRV lookups.  To be honest, I didn't realize that there were
>so many people with broken DNS resolution.
>
>I'll ask the FreeBSD DNS admins to add an A record for update.freebsd.org.
>
>Colin Percival

I had up until now been transparently benefiting from that
"non-fallback" legacy A record for portsnap as well.

Thanks for looking into this. I am personally amazed that an issue
caused by a misconfiguration on my end could result in changes on the
FreeBSD DNS servers to avoid similar issues for others. Kudos to FreeBSD
support!