Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2017 10:52:09 -0330
From:      "Jonathan Anderson" <jonathan@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Torfinn Ingolfsen" <torfinn.ingolfsen@getmail.no>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Dell hardware for FreeBSD

On 10 Dec 2017, at 11:48, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Dec 2017 21:29:43 -0600
> Mark Schofield <markscho65@icloud.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> I am looking to buy a new Dell laptop and wanted to put FreeBSD on
>> it, but was unsure which one is supported. I am looking at a non
>> touchscreen version that to put on it with 8gb ram. Link below
>>
>> http://pilot.search.dell.com/Linux
>>

>> Will FreeBSD install on one of these.
>
> FreeBSD will install. But - Intel Graphics for newer chipsets (like
> those used with 7th generation Intel Core cpus) will very likely not
> work out of the box. Also, some of the hardware inside the laptop
> might be unsupported (no FreeBSD driver), for example the wireless
> (there has been lots of progress here lately, with both iwn and iwm
> drivers, so it might work).

I tried to buy a Dell XPS for FreeBSD a year or two ago. It was a
beautiful machine with a really nice screen, but after going down the
wireless rabbit hole and looking at NDIS wrapping support, I decided
that life is too short and that my local Best Buy has a great return
policy. :) These days it looks like Dell is using Atheros devices from a
company called "Killer", and that chipset may not be supported in
FreeBSD yet:
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/63080/

> There have been reports that people have got Intel Graphics working
> with the drm-next-kmod[1] port, but I haven't tried this, so YMMV.

The graphics stuff has really been coming along (at least with my
hardware, which is — admittedly — a bit out-of-date). I think that,
on Dell hardware, wireless support might be a bigger blocker.

Also watch out for notebooks with touchpads that run over i2c instead of
USB:
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-mobile/2016-March/013370.html

Such devices apparently work in some contexts with the ig4 driver:
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D3068
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D3351

However, YMMV. :)

> In general, buying a new laptop to use a FreeBSD desktop machine today
> is difficult, both because the vendors / shops seldoms lists all
> technical specifications - you have to do all research yourself, and
> because
> many "Linux-supported" products from well known vendors like Dell and
> others use proprietary drivers in Linux to be able to claim Linux
> support.

Practically speaking, I think there are two approaches to buying a
FreeBSD notebook:

1. copy somebody else's machine specs exactly (tends to lead to lots of
people using the same slightly-stale ThinkPad, but it works), or
2. buy locally from a store with a good return policy, try it with a
live USB environment, return, repeat.

I followed the second approach with my most recent FreeBSD notebook
purchase (a year or two ago) and I'm fairly pleased with the third
notebook I found (an HP Spectre x360). The Intel wireless works (no
802.11ac support yet, but the card does work with iwm7265Dfw), the Intel
graphics work with drm-next, the touchscreen did work at least once
(though not at the moment) and the SD card support is... hahahahaha, one
doesn't expect such luxuries to work with FreeBSD. :) However, I did
have to go through the buy/test/return cycle more time than was really
convenient.

Jon
--
Jonathan Anderson