Date:      Wed, 9 Nov 2005 18:40:17 +0100
From:      Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
To:        Brian Buchanan <bwb@holo.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: psm0 broken with acpi_ibm on 6.0-RELEASE

Am 09.11.2005 um 04:55 schrieb Brian Buchanan:

> On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Petr Holub wrote:
>
>> I've found the following problem on my IBM T41p when running 6.0-
>> RELEASE:
>> when both psm and acpi_ibm are compiled in the kernel, the psm0
>> device
>> (touchpad) doesn't initialize properly - with verbose logging it says
>> psm0: unable to allocate IRQ
>> When acpi_ibm is removed from the kernel, psm0 works OK.
>>
>> However, combination of both psm and acpi_ibm used to work at least
>> till 6.0-BETA4, which is what I had previously on this laptop.
>
> I have the same problem with my IBM T40p.  If I load acpi_ibm after
> boot, the module loads fine and the mouse continues to work.  It
> looks like acpi_ibm, if loaded by /boot/loader, takes over irq 12
> and prevents psm from attaching.

On a A21m, I've loaded acpi_ibm after boot, and now psm0 appears to
be dead. vmstat -i reports a total of 73 interrupts for irq12, and it
doesn't increase when I push one of the buttons, or move the stick.

Interestingly enough, after rebooting and loading acpi_ibm from
loader.conf, everything seems to be working just fine.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>   Fon +49 170 346 0140