Date:      Sun, 5 Jul 2015 22:45:02 -0700
From:      Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   make a simple device driver

Hello again,

I'm still waiting to get my hands on my hummingboard but I started to
look into device drivers by following the handbook. I have done the
following on a source listing for CURRENT:

1) Created folder called echo_driver under /usr/src/sys/dev
2) Created new file called echo_driver.c with the code pasted from
this handbook page:
  https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/arch-handbook/driverbasics-char.html
3) created a make file with these contents:

SRCS=    echo_driver.c
KMOD=    echo_driver

.include <bsd.kmod.mk>

as per the Handbook
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/arch-handbook/driverbasics-kld.html

when I run make under /usr/src/sys/dev/echo_driver I get the following error:

make: don't know how to make auto.obj.mk. Stop

make: stopped in /usr/src/sys/dev/echo_driver

I tried drilling through the makefile dependencies as best as I
understood it and saw that
/usr/src/share/mk contains the BSD make files (good to know!) and in
the file auto.obj.mk is the first file in Makefile.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Russ