Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2018 09:49:26 -0500
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
To:        Dan Allen <danallen46@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: amd64 kernel crash introduced between 20180329 & 20180408

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 9:44 AM, Dan Allen <danallen46@gmail.com> wrote:
> I run FreeBSD 11-STABLE on actual machines, and I build the system every few days.  Things have been fine.
>
> However, I also run FreeBSD 11 via the qemu emulator on my Mac.  I run lots of different BSD & Linux OSes here to test them out.  I have been running the same binary of qemu-system-x86_64 v1.2 for six years.  It runs great.
>
> Then recently this happened:
>
> This snapshot dated 20180329, after doing a fresh install, runs fine:
>
>   https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/ISO-IMAGES/11.1/FreeBSD-11.1-STABLE-amd64-20180329-r331742-disc1.iso
>
> I can run pkg install and begin adding stuff to the system and life is good.
>
> BUT
>
> This snapshot dated 20180408, after doing a fresh install, will crash when running pkg install:
>
>   https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/ISO-IMAGES/11.1/FreeBSD-11.1-STABLE-amd64-20180408-r332308-disc1.iso
>
> It crashes about 90% of the way through updating the pkg snapshot.  It does not matter what pkg you try and install.
>
> However, the latest release in the i386 flavor works fine on qemu:
>
>   https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/ISO-IMAGES/11.1/FreeBSD-11.1-STABLE-i386-20180412-r332428-disc1.iso
>
> So sometime between March 29th & April 8th, in amd64 boot code, I believe the problem was introduced.

As "the guy most likely to have broken boot code in stable," may I ask
what leads you specifically to amd64 boot code? Mostly curious if
there's something beyond "i386 works well" that lead you to this
conclusion.

> I cannot debug the crash, because it does a kernel dump, and then when the system reboots, almost anything again triggers a kernel crash and it reboots again and again: no chance to inspect a mini dump or whatever.

When you say it crashes and does a kernel dump- you're landing at a
ddb prompt, yeah? What does executing bt at that prompt look like>?