Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2012 11:26:07 +1000
From:      Antony Mawer <lists@mawer.org>
To:        Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Recommendation for Hyervisor to host FreeBSD

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 10:43 PM, Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de> wrote:
> Am Thu, 05 Jul 2012 12:43:06 +0100
> schrieb Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>:
>
>> So, my work surprise for a Thursday morning is an urgent requirement
>> to see if we can run a set of FreeBSD machines under virtualised
>> servers. I have not done this before personally, but I notice from
>> post here that it doesnt seem uncommon, and I see Xen related commits
>> flowing past, so I am guessing it is doable.
>>
>> So, for running 8 or 9 STABLE can anyone recommend which hypervisor
>> works best, and is 8 or 9 better as the OS to run ? Am doing a bit
>> of research myself, but nothing beats persoanl experience in these
>> matters!
>

> AFAIK, there are no VMware-tools for FreeBSD9 (yet).
> So, if you need to use ESXi/vSphere, then stay with 8.3 for the time
> being.

We have had a lot of success and good performance deploying under ESXi
- often without the VM tools package installed.

> Also, full, native support for MSFT-HyperV is coming to FreeBSD9.

Isn't this supposed to be on 8.2 and 8.3 as well (per the official
announcement)? I am awaiting further announcement on this as I have a
lot of our clients / prospective clients who run HyperV environments
who want to deploy on this. Last time we tried on 8.1 the OS would
crash with memory corruption errors, which happened across multiple
test systems...

http://blogs.technet.com/b/openness/archive/2012/05/10/freebsd-support-on-windows-server-hyper-v.aspx

-- Antony