Date:      Thu, 6 Nov 2014 20:27:01 -0200
From:      Evandro Nunes <evandronunes12@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
Subject:   Re: netmap-ipfw on em0 em1
References:  <CAG4HiT4KHG%2Bb2um6-p4szWio8qmxN%2BadO5hO9J5UGPmsa%2BZC5g@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2BhQ2%2BhAJZk-Y1Yw2xmHmxSMHpFN_byX94Bq33-th2vrp7q2JA@mail.gmail.com> <CAG4HiT7Mtedoxvc69nEyKp1ZYBidZTBcEKG1L9Mkj_Rqeh4bpA@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2BhQ2%2BjOnHX-x=k5=iZtR3=OWfcFBD8WTD_d_VicicJzPevcSw@mail.gmail.com> <CAG4HiT5fVCpmJ8uDh4SvVown7-vLCMKJP8-QcaW9LQfpWZEiBA@mail.gmail.com> <20141104221216.GA17502@onelab2.iet.unipi.it> <CAG4HiT5YqnnVW3dSzn3tpP4VAkGY7Qg3ZZuZ=vmwGznX8m7u2A@mail.gmail.com> <9547E931-AF82-4F5C-AA22-865E93831A27@freebsdbrasil.com.br> <CAG4HiT46ezpTzxCj%2B1PB=Ft-KKFs17f85dtRC8sgzSO%2B35cW=Q@mail.gmail.com>

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 10:40 PM, Evandro Nunes <evandronunes12@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 8:44 PM, Patrick Tracanelli <
> eksffa@freebsdbrasil.com.br> wrote:
>
>> Hey, what you are doing wrong is much more simple than you expect.
>>
>> > # ./kipfw em1 em2 > & /tmp/kipfw.log &
>> > [1] 66583
>>
>> Just run ./kipfw netmap:em1 netmap:em2 and this will probably work.
>>
>> Please remember to redirect kipfw output to somewhere you are not readin=
>> only *after* you are sure the output is showing errors. If you could rea=
>> the output you would probably get something like =E2=80=9Cerror opening =
em0=E2=80=9D or
>> something like that coming netmap.
>>

> hello dear patrick
> thank you, yes it did work now
> at least it is counting packets
>
> but things are still weird, even though I have only count and allow rules=
,
> and yes they are counting packets, when I run kipfw, every packet on em1
> and em2 gets dropped immediately. no matter they are allow rules counting
> packets, packets get dropped and machine-A gets completely isolated from
> machine-C
>
> any further help is appreciated

hello everybody,

one clear and simple question: is anyone actually using netmap-ipfw on real
NICs out there? or has anyone ever used?

because every documentation I read, or video I watch, is based on vale
NICs, not real ones; documentation is also not clear about or in fact
existant regarding real NICs (this is not a complaint, I know netmap-ipfw
is experimental and I dont expect it to be rich yet, but I am talking about
any sort of doc, readme files, commit messages, mailing list excerpts...),
not even the syntax netmap:NIC was clearly mentioned before I was told to
do that

I read the guy from BSDRP Project mentioning he got down on traffic after
enabling netmap-ipfw, I have read the same thing from a guy mr Meyer, and
from a couple others in different dates (but mostly in this list here) and
everyone seem to gave given up.

I started looking at the source code for extras/ and stuff but I am no
hacker, and I could not figure out what I could be doing wrong. This is why
I ask if anyone actually runs netmap-ipfw on real NICs. Im not asking for a
recipe, Im just trying to figure out if I am focusing on testing something
that will never work because it lacks a usable piece of code to make it run
on real NICs (and I am not capable of coding it myself), or if I still
doing something wrong...

using netmap-ipfw with VALE ports is shows a very different behavior and
works as expected and documented, not on real NICs has a complete different
behavior, dropping everything even though it counts packets on an "allow"
rule...