Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 2017 06:27:55 -0500
From:      Bret Ketchum <bcketchum@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   PEBS support in hwpmc

All,

    I apologize if there is a better forum for this question. Is there
any current effort to support Processor Event Based Sampling in hwpmc?
Without this support (or a VTune subscription) understanding
Front-End/Back-End bound applications running on Skylake/Kaby Lake
processors will be difficult at best. I'm thinking to simply add a
flag and either add a char to iap_event_descr or increase the size of
iap_evcode to house the sub-event (EVTSEL). Decoding and reporting the
captured PEBS records would need a bit more thought.

    Bret