Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2012 14:06:03 -0700
From:      David Brodbeck <gull@gull.us>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how often to update ports?

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Aleksandr Miroslav
<alexmiroslav@gmail.com> wrote:
> >From what I've gleaned from this list and other BSD mailing lists that
> I'm on, is that some people don't update their port-installed packages
> nearly as frequently (security patches/updates aside). Some people go
> for months/years without doing so.
>
> So I'm curious, how often do you keep your ports update, and what are
> the reasons for doing so?

I may be more lax than most.  I update ports when one of three things happens:
1. I upgrade to a new FreeBSD release.
2. portaudit flags a security problem.
3. I need some feature that's only in a newer version.

I don't do a gratuitous update just because a new version is out; I
like to avoid disturbing things that are working, basically.