Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 2016 16:50:13 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Stable ML <stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        trasz@freebsd.org
Subject:   Auto-mounting USB NTFS formatted devices on FreeBSD 10.2 and HEAD

Since the removal of NTFS support, it is unclear how to get USB drives
formatted as NTFS (or ExFAT) to automatically mount. Prior to FreeBSD 10 it
was possible to replace /sbin/mount_ntfs with a script that would generate
appropriate options and exec /usr/local/sbin/ntfs-3g and let HAL fire up
mount_ntfs, but that no longer works as mount_ntfs is no longer used and
mount(8) no longer treats '-t ntfs' as special.

It would appear that automount(8) would be the right magic, but it's not
obvious to me how to configure it to recognize that an NTFS device has been
connected to a USB port (as opposed to msdosfs) and to use ntfs-3g to do
the actual mount. I assume that the same issue exists for ExFAT.

Does anyone have an idea of what magic is required in the auto_master or
elsewhere to make this work in conjunction with devd? I'd really like to
avid using hald, if possible.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com