Date:      Tue, 2 Dec 2014 23:14:30 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Matt Smith <freebsd@xtaz.co.uk>, Stephen Fisher <sfisher@sdf.org>,  FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Why was ispell removed?

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Matt Smith <freebsd@xtaz.co.uk> wrote:

> On Dec 01 13:58, Stephen Fisher wrote:
> > I recently noticed that the ispell port has been removed in favor of the
> > aspell-ispell port ("ispell compatibility script for aspell").  Does
> > anyone know why it was removed?  All I see on Fresh Ports is that it
> > was deprecated and finally removed in January of this year.
> >
> > (The ispell script for aspell doesn't fully replicate ispell
> > functionality such as checking words on the command line as shown below)
> >
> > Real ispell:
> > >ispell
> > @(#) International Ispell Version 3.3.02 12 Jun 2005
> > word: word
> > ok
> >

> > word: ^D
> >

> > aspell script:
> > >ispell
> > Ispell compatibility script for Aspell.
> > Usage: /usr/local/bin/ispell [options] -a|-l|-v[v]|-c|-e[1-4]|<file>
>
> It seems that you can just use the -a switch on aspell:
>
> $ aspell -a
> @(#) International Ispell Version 3.1.20 (but really Aspell 0.60.6.1)
> helo this is a tset
> & helo 11 0: he lo, he-lo, hello, helot, help, halo, hell, held, helm,
> hero, he'll
> *
> *
> *
> & tset 5 15: test, stet, Set, Tet, set
>
> It seems to do exactly the same as hunspell like you have been pointed
> to in the rest of this thread?

I get slightly different results, probably because of two different
dictionaries. In any case, it might be appropriate if there was an
installation message about installing dictionaries. But it's still a bit
embarrassing that I didn't find it myself.

Thanks!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com