Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2018 12:48:45 -0700
From:      Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
To:        FF <fusionfoto@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: AHCI and Highpoint Rocket 750

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 12:05 PM, FF <fusionfoto@gmail.com> wrote:

> oh nice! so it "just works" -- is there any way to verify it?

Not easily.  You could try putting a load on those disks, then use "gstat
-a" to watch the queue depth (the "L(q)" column).  If it's >1, that means
that geom is trying to use queued commands.  A more accurate but more
difficult method would be to use a benchmark program like benchmarks/fio to
do a random write test on a single disk.  If the throughput is higher when
fio is using a queue depth > 1, then that would indicate that queued
commands are making it all the way to the drive.

OTOH, it would probably be a better use of your time just to benchmark
whatever application you're using.  Only if that's too slow should you dig
into minutiae like this.  With 40 drives, you may have plenty of IOPs even
without NCQ.

> Is there any reason to use the highpoint driver when the native FreeBSD
> one seems to work?

Nope.